Monday, February 15, 2010

Soccer - Mid Life Crisis

My brother-in-law, Scott and I watched some arena (indoor) soccer back in October while at GJ's b-day party. He said "we should get a team together" and I laughed at him. I told him I would play, but that he had no idea how tiring it is to play indoor. There's a reason why they sub out all the time. So, now we are playing soccer. Tonight was our 6th game and we only lost 7-8. We have improved so much. The first time we played this team, we lost 4-22. No, that wasn't a typo. It helps that Kent and Andy joined the team. They have ball handling skills, but collectively as a team we have gotten significantly better. I still stink, but I hustle when I'm out there and disrupt the flow of the other team. I try to position as well as I can, but my ball handling skills aren't good at all. It's a total blast, and if you had asked me if I would be playing soccer at 38, I would have laughed.

The first game we played the girls came and watched. When I came home Sarah looked sad and dejected and she said "I'm sorry that you lost." It was really cute. I told her that it didn't matter because I had so much fun. She's just as competitive as I am. Sarah always wants to win, be the best, smartest, etc. Sometimes, that saying "It doesn't matter if you win or lose it's how you play the game," actually rings true. This group of guys is having fun and now we might be getting competitive.

No comments: