Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter Formal

This school year I've been working with Matthew Maizel in co-teaching two AP Biology classes. Matthew teaches students that are in the Moderate-Severe Special Education program at Diamond Ranch. I've thought about logging some of the experiences that we have had this past school year, but I just haven't taken the time. The short version of what we have done is that we have combined AP Biology students with students that have moderate to severe disabilities, all while teaching the AP Biology curriculum and following IEPs. Eventually

I will have to back track with some of the stories from the beginning of the school year. I have a terrible memory for details so I hope I can do this later. Anyway, what I wanted to document now is the ripple effect of this experiment of inclusion. It's not really an experiment so much as an experience. These kids have had such a good experience. I know what you just thought. Which kids? THE Kids, all of them have gained something through this. Some more than others. Recently, ASB decided that they would invite all of the students involved in the Moderrate-Severe program to the Winter Formal, free of charge. This has never been done, as far as I know. I'm not sure whose grand idea it was in the first place, probably Lilliana's, but I'm sure it was an ASB student that is in one of the inclusion classes. I don't think that this would have happened unless we had the inclusion class. As I said before, it's the ripple effect of being in the same class everyday together. They are all just kids, students, people, with different abilities, interests, and experiences. And they are just kids with some of the same abilities, interests, and experiences.

No comments: