Friday, September 24, 2010

Raise your hand if you had fun today?

Let me start by saying that I really lag at staying up on posting. I'm going to work my way backwards in time. Today at the end of my first period class I decided to ask my students if they had fun in class. It was just one of those days where I got to watch the light turn on for so many different students. They were totally engaged. Well, at least most of them were. It started yesterday when we did the first lab using microscopes. My favorite moment yesterday was Alexandra saying "Oh, I see it! I found it! How cool it looks sooooo different." All of that, and she was just looking at a letter "e" on the microscope. Today they got to look at evidence samples. This class started out at the beginning of the year and it gave me total anxiety. It is a combo class with Honors and CP students and 15 of the CP students are in Special Ed. I really wasn't sure what to expect. It's still a lot like work, but I feel like I'm getting some of the RSP students interested in Biology or at least more motivated to put in the effort. I had the sense today that they really had "fun" in class today. So I said "Raise your hand if you had fun today." 3/4 of the kids raised their hands. I followed that up by saying that we would continue looking at the evidence samples on Monday because they were so on task and so into what we were doing. Vicky Walker (the Special Education teacher that I'm working with) said "they" are usually only good for one or two days like this in a year. I said "Well, hopefully we can have 1-2 days like this every week or so."

No comments: