Friday, September 24, 2010

Ripple Effect #2

At the end of the school year Christine Rodriguez came to me and showed me a letter that Jenessa had written in her class after the Final Exam. Christine just had the students write about whatever they wanted once they finished the exam. Below is what Jenessa wrote.
"Personally I have really enjoyed my Junior Year and think it has been one of the best years of my life. I have had so many classes where I had to work hard and apply myself, but I learned so much about myself and how to treat others. I think one of the greatest experiences this year was getting to work with Amber and 11th grade special needs student. I sat next to her in 3rd period AP Biology and helped her do her assignments. It seriously was a roller coaster ride; some days I would be so happy because she understood the concept and there were others where I was really frustrated. I did all I could for her and can only hope I impacted her life as much as she did mine. I think it all became clear today when I walked into class dressed for my presentation and she just looked at me, a mixture of awe and respect in her eyes as she said 'Wow, you look pretty.' Coming from Amber, I knew that we had been through so much together and she really did respect me as a trusted friend."

If this doesn't demonstrate the impact of inclusion, then I don't know what does. Jenessa grew through this experience and so did Amber. In some way different kids got to experience something unique that hopefully will stick with them for a lifetime. I know this is true for Jenessa. She is such a great kid anyway, but the fact that she got to grow from all she experienced last year makes me extremely happy.



No comments: